Thursday, February 9, 2012

February Photo-a-day Challenge: Day 9 ~ Front Door

 

 

I am trying to decide whether or not I should let you all in on a HUGE secret. Hmmm.

 

Okay, I’ll show and tell. But, be forewarned. If you already thought I was nuts, now you’ll have NO doubt!  And, if you are a door-to-door salesperson, please don’t read any farther…further? …farther. Whatever.

 

Here it is. It’s a wasp nest above my front door.

20120209_47

“What’s so crazy about that?” you might ask. The thing is, that wasp nest has been there for a very long time, and I like it that way.

Here’s why:

     One day the door bell rang and I looked out the peep hole to see who was there. Ehhhhhhhhhh, somebody wanting to sell me new windows, or trim my trees, or something. I don’t really know because I didn’t open the door. They just kept ringing the doorbell.  I just kept watching them.  That’s when I saw them in the “ho-hum-waiting posture”…looking up as if they were on an elevator waiting for their floor. All of a sudden, one gasped and pointed. The other looked up and saw the wasp nest and they both ran off across the lawn faster than lightening. It was hilarious. So, I guard my little watch-wasps from the hubby and they chase off unwanted guests. (Actually, they don’t chase anyone. It’s just that people who stand there long enough to notice the nest and get scared are usually not people who have been invited over.)  It’s a great relationship.  Unlike past front-door transactions, with happy wasps I won’t get stung!

20120209_46 (3)c

The photo above shows my screen door. I hand-painted the roses on it about 20 years ago when we first bought our house. I’m thinking it’s time to repaint!

 

Below is the entryway, showing some thrift-shop treasures, including old keys and a Frida Kahlo plate.

20120209_1 (5)c

So, CONGRATULATIONS!  It looks like you made it past the front door!  WELCOME!

2 comments:

  1. Shut the front door!!!! I want a wasp nest in my front entry too! We get so many people ringing the doorbell taking surveys and trying to sell "stuff"...I would love to see their reactions to a wasp nest just above them! We have the nests all about, but never in the front entry. Wonder how I could lure them there? :)

    xoxo
    Kim
    Gerushia's New World

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kim, just glue an old one up there. Most people don't even need to see a wasp to start running! heeheehee

    ReplyDelete